How To Get Your Builders Licence in Queensland

How To Get Your Builders Licence in Queensland

Back To Basics are here to help eligible workers in the construction industry to gain the appropriate building licences.

Our courses and programs are recognised as the technical qualifications you require to apply for a licence through the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC).

There are a number of programs currently available, they are listed below.

Site Supervisor Licensing:

Restricted Builders Licensing:

Builders Licence – Low Rise:

CPC40110 – Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building)

Builders Licence – Medium Rise:

CPC50210 – Diploma of Building and Construction (Building)

Upon completion of our programs as well as meeting the appropriate criteria of the licensing body (refer to QBCC’s website for full details), you’ll be able to apply for the licence you require.


To obtain a Builder, Nominee or Site Supervisor licence in any of the building classes you must complete the relevant application form (available from QBCC offices and QBCC’s website) and meet the following requirements:

The scope of work for each licence class lists the required technical qualifications (refer to QBCC’s website to find out the specific scope of work for your license). If you do not hold a formal qualification you can obtain ‘Recognition of Prior Learning’ (RPL) through an accredited RTO such as Back to Basics.

Back To Basics can carry out recognition of prior learning (RPL) for those eligible to undertake this process by assessing applicants against the competencies required to obtain a licence.


Builder Licence

For contractors who want to contract or subcontract to carry out building work. The classes of builder licences also allow trade coordination. As a builder you must ensure all trade contractors on your building sites are licenced. It is an offence for any builder to engage unlicensed contractors.

Restrictred Builders Licence

This licence class is specific to the task being carried out and limits what is able to be worked on within the limits set by the licence classification. An example of this is the Builder restricted to Shop fitting which lists the scope as follows per the QBCC website:

  • Building work associated with the internal fit out of a shop or office, including shopfronts, but not including Type A or Type B construction
  • Prepare plans and specifications if the plans and specifications are:
    • for the licensee’s personal use, or
    • for use in building work to be performed by the licensee personally.

Nominee or Site Supervisor Licence

A supervisor cannot contract or subcontract to carry out building work, but can supervise and perform the physical work while employed by another licensee. A nominee supervisor can only be a nominee for a building company.


An individual or company who wants to carry out, undertake to carry out, or supervise building work valued at over $3,300 (including labour and materials) must hold the appropriate licence. Licensees who do not contract with builders or the public and only contract to trade contractors (i.e. sub-trade contractors) do not require a QBCC licence. However, if you perform any building work within one of the following classes you must hold the appropriate licence, regardless of the value of the work:

  • Plumbing and Drainage 
  • Building Design Open 
  • Building Design Medium Rise
  • Building Design Low Rise
  • Fire Protection
  • Completed Residential Building Inspection
  • Gasfitting
  • Termite Management – Chemical
  • Site Classifier


You will need two to four years’ supervisory and practical experience in the building sector. Depending on the person the type and the amount of experience you will need may vary from person to person, however, it’s still very important you document all supervisory experience in your application – a well-documented experience history that is easy to follow is recommended. Your referees must also be able to confirm your experience in supervisory roles in writing.

Note: Site Supervisor applicants are not required to provide experience.


“Carrying out” or “undertaking” building work includes:

  • personally carrying out the work
  • directly or indirectly causing building work to be carried out
  • providing advisory, administrative, management or supervisory services in relation to building work
  • entering into a contract or submitting a tender for building work, or offering to carry out building work from QBCC offices or our website.

If you are applying for a Nominee or Site Supervisor Licence, you do not need to provide financial details. A licence cannot be issued until all criteria is satisfied so please ensure all the necessary documentation is included with your application.


The scopes of work for the building licensing allows you to prepare plans and specifications for your personal use or for use in building work you will perform. A QBCC Building Designer licence is required for all other building design work. The scope of work also does not include the inspection, investigation and reporting on a Class 1a or Class 10 building.

A licence in Completed Residential Building Inspection would be required. It is possible for you to contract or subcontract in a trade area under your Builder licence. However trade work requiring an occupational licence (i.e. pest controlling, plumbing and draining, and gas fitting) can only be performed by the holder of the relevant occupational licence. Similarly a builder must hold a Fire Protection licence to carry out fire protection work.

Builders should exercise extreme caution in contracting or subcontracting in any trade in which they do not have recent experience and expertise. Remember, if you perform defective trade work, your Builder licence may be in jeopardy.

The above information is directly sourced from QBCC’s website: www.qbcc.qld.gov.au, the appropriate information for your licensing class is also available here.

For more information on Back To Basic’s programs required for licensing, get in contact with our Student Support Team and get started today.