Builders License | Builders Licence QLD, NSW, VIC, and Australia
Your State-by-State Guide to Acquiring a Builders Licence

Your State-by-State Guide to Acquiring a Builders Licence

If you're an Australian in need of a builders licence to work in construction, check out this state-by-state guide to getting licensed in construction and building.

If you want to work as a “Builder” in the construction industry in Australia as a Builder, you have to obtain a Builders Licence.

However, it’s not that simple. Each state has different requirements you need to meet.

In this article, we will quickly go through the basic requirements for each particular state. Read on to get started.

New South Wales

In New South Wales, you’re required to have at least two years of relevant builders experience. The NSW Department of Fair Trading will require you to have experience in all aspects of the construction industry.

You will be able to obtain the experience either as an employee or a sub-contractor. In addition to the two years, you also need a Certificate IV in Building and Construction and a Diploma of Building and Construction.

For more details on how to get your NSW Builders Licence, check out the guide we wrote here -> Your Guide to the NSW Builders Licence


The Victorian Building Authority offers builder’s licences in the following categories:

  • Domestic Builder (limited, unlimited, and manager)
  • Commercial Builder (limited and unlimited)

In order to register and get your licence, you will need to meet the criteria. You must have at least 3 years of experience in the category you’re applying, complete the application, pass a written test, and know the national building codes.

To find out more about this, read our Victorian Builders Licence Guide.

Western Australia

The Western Australian Building Commission offers two types of licensing — Licenced Building Practitioner and Licenced Building Contractor.

For each licence, you will need 5 to 7 years of experience, formal qualifications, references, never been disqualified from a practising trade, and demonstrate financial capabilities.

We have produced a fantastic how-to guide for you here -> The Western Australian Builders Licence Explained

South Australia

In South Australia, there are two main types of licences you can obtain — contractor and supervisor.

For each licence, you need to have the necessary years of experience for each type, a police check, demonstrate financial stability, and never been disqualified from a practising trade.


The Queensland Building and Construction Commission requires everyone to meet the same requirements.

Those applying need to have:

  • Between 2 to 4 years of experience
  • Formal qualifications
  • Provide 3 references
  • Proof of financial stability
  • Proof of Identity
  • Record of Registration
  • Proof of business partnership

Here is our guide on getting your Queensland Builders Licence.

Northern Territory

In the Northern Territory, you can obtain two types of licences — Building Contractor Residential restricted and unrestricted.

When you apply for each of these you have to meet the full criteria:

  • Have a Certificate IV in Building and Construction
  • At least 3 years of experience
  • Proof of financial stability
  • Never have been disqualified from practising trade


In Tasmania, you can obtain one of the following licences – builder, construction manager, fire protection service builder, and demolisher. They divide each licence into three classes, low rise, medium rise and open.

The requirements depend greatly on what class you wish to obtain. You will also need to provide two references, proof of insurance, financial information, and go through an interview.

Everything You Need for Your Builders Licence

Depending on the state where you want to practice, you will need to fulfill specific requirements.

Make sure you stay on top of the requirements so your licence is not delayed.

If you are looking to fulfill the requirements for a builders licence sooner, check out our courses.