Builders License Victoria | Builders Licence Victoria - Back To Basics
How to get your Victorian Builders Licence

How to get your Victorian Builders Licence

In Victoria, you have to obtain a Victorian Builders Licence if you want to carry out building work either as a sole trader, or as a company. If you're new to the area and want to be a registered building practitioner, here's what you need to do.

According to the Victorian Building Authority (VBA), you must hold a Victorian Builders Licence if you want to work as a licensed domestic builder, or as they call it, a Registered Building Practitioner.

This is particularly important if you want to execute projects that cost more than $10,000, including materials and labour.

As per the VBA website, The unlimited domestic building licence states that you are “responsible for carrying out, or managing or arranging the carrying out of all components of domestic building work for the construction, renovation, improvement or maintenance of a home (class 1, 2 and 4 buildings, and associated class 10 buildings, as classified in the Building Code of Australia).”

In addition to this, there is the Limited Domestic Builders Licence, which covers such tasks as Kitchen/Bathroom/Laundry, Brick/Blocklaying, Shade Structures, Framing, Plastering, and many more.

So, if you’re not sure about the right steps to getting your builders licence, this post is here to help you.

Keep on reading to learn more!

Why You Need a Licence

As noted before, you need a licence to carry out projects that cost $10,000 or more. This figure includes the cost of materials and labour.

The VBA requires you to have a licence to carry out tasks, such as re-stumping, re-blocking, demolishing, and removing a home. Any building work that requires a permit, regardless of the overall cost, also requires the builder to be licensed.

For those who work under a corporate entity, one of the directors of the entity must be registered.

Determine Your Category

If you want to get a builder’s licence, you can either become a domestic builder or a commercial builder. Read on to learn more about these two options and their eligibility requirements.

1. Domestic Builder

As a domestic builder, you can complete renovation, construction, maintenance, and improvement projects of a home. There are also three classes for domestic builders:

  • Limited builder – In this role, you only carry out tasks that your Certificate of Registration specifies
  • Unlimited builder – This role allows you to carry different building tasks, manage subcontractors, and examine plans and tenders for projects
  • Manager – As a domestic manager, you’re responsible for managing other builders and engaging registered contractors

Eligibility Requirements

You must have the requested educational qualifications to become a registered domestic builder Work experience, and practical experience is also essential during application.

Be sure to complete your application form with all the relevant details. This includes your professional membership, completed training programs, work samples if necessary, and business operations.

You also need to satisfy VBA that you’re of good character. This involves not having a criminal record and an unreasonable number of debts. With your authorisation, VBA will conduct National Police Certificate check to determine your criminal record.

Domestic builders also need certification by the Building Practitioners Board. The certification demonstrates your ability to carry out and manage the tasks involved in domestic building.

2. Commercial Builder

You need to be a licensed commercial builder to carry out building work for offices, shops, factories and other commercial buildings. The licence also allows you to examine project’s plans and documents, organise building work inspections, and submit plants to a surveyor.

There are two classes under this role:

  • Limited – the builder’s role is limited to the tasks specified on their certificate
  • Unlimited – the builder can perform any and manage any type of commercial building worker

Eligibility Requirements

To get the certification, you’ll need the specified educational qualifications, work experience, and practical experience.

Be sure to provide a complete application form with all the relevant supporting information. You must pass a police check for criminal history. Applicants must also have appropriate insurance.

You might also need a certificate to show the completion of the Course in Builder Registration (BPB). Limited builders will need certification from the Building Practitioners Board.

The Application Process

You’ll need to download and complete the application forms on your computer. It’s not advisable to handwrite when filling the forms as that will delay the processing times.

A National Police Check is required as part of the application. You’ll find the details for the police check in the form. You will need to complete an Experience Statement and a Technical Referee Report for every component and class you want.

In your application, be sure to include proof that you have the required insurance and that you have completed the appropriate application fee. Be sure to print and sign all the hard copies of your application form and police check consent.

Your application must not contain any false written or oral statements. You can then submit the forms by mail or in person.

The VBA will review your application, qualifications, and expertise to determine your eligibility. In some cases, you may have a face-to-face interview or take an open-book exam to complete your application. They may also request more information if needed.

Complete Training Before Applying

From the details above, you can easily pick out that training is essential. The Victorian Building Authority requires work experience, practical experience, educational qualifications, and certifications to approve your application.

You can work as a joiner, bricklayer or take apprenticeship programs to gain the relevant experience. After that, you can then consider completing building and construction courses for your licence.

Due to the regulations set by the VBA, in Victoria, you should start with the CPC50210 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building). This course can take about 12-24 months. You can easily complete this course online to prep for your career or expand on your knowledge, ready to run your own construciton business.

Completing the CPC50210 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) will also allow you to get QLD Builders Licence & NSW Builders Licence. With this training, you can become a site supervisor, building manager, project supervisor, or a construction manager.

Builders Licence – Final Thoughts

Leading a construction career can be a fulfilling experience, especially for those who dislike the constraints of an office job! It allows you to engage in physical work and learn new skills along the way.

So, if you want to get a builder’s licence in Victoria, be sure to take the time to ensure you meet the eligibility requirements. Training is a critical part of your application, and Back to Basics is here to help you. Our Certificate IV and Diploma courses allow you to get the training you need to qualify as a builder.

If you want to learn more about the courses, just reach out to us, and we’ll be glad to answer your questions.